--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book Review: Prairie Evers by Ellen Airgood

Posted as part of Tween Tuesday, hosted by GreenBeanTeenQueen.
Prairie Evers by Ellen Airgood
Publisher: Nancy Paulsen Books
Publication date: May 2012
Pages: 215
Source: ARC from ALA
For: Review

Prairie, who has been homeschool for all her 10 years, suddenly finds herself in a new town and without her grandma. Worse, she's got to go to public school and she's about to find out that it's not all that fun. Until she meets her best friend Ivy.  And even if she feels like a fish out of water, raising chickens and wanting to be outside instead of at school, she has at least one friend. 

Things I Liked:
I loved sweet Prairie and the way she hated change and couldn't see how things would work out, but then they did.  I loved when she would say things and then how she learned not to say things.  I loved watching her grow, listening to her voice, seeing her life changing in unexpected ways.  This book tugged a little on my heartstrings, but even more made me feel nostalgic for my childhood.  A sweet coming-of-age story of a young girl just beginning to understand life.

Things I Didn't Like:
Everything did wrap up pretty neatly, at least for Prairie, but not necessarily for Ivy.  Otherwise, it was just a short, sweet middle grade novel for fans of Little House on the Prairie or other small town stories.

Read-alikes:
Sort of a bit like Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Reminded me of a younger Ten Miles Past Normal by Frances O'Roark Dowell 
Maybe like a younger Queen of Kentucky by Alecia Whitaker too

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: ****

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. Simplistic is OK as long as its sweet...sometimes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I enjoyed it while I read for its sweetness.

      Delete
  2. It sounds cute, but maybe a bit too middle-gradey for me. I'll keep it in mind for my daughter, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a middle grade book, hopefully you're daughter might like it.

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015