--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Legend by Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publication date: November 2011
Pages: 336
Source: Library
For: Fun (and the Dystopian Challenge)
Series: Legend, Book 1


Day is the city's most wanted criminal, sneaking around causing havoc for the Republic.  Little do they know he's a teenage boy.  June is a genius student preparing to be a top military leader.  When she's commissioned to find and capture Day, she takes it very personally - after all, he killed her brother.  When their two paths cross, they little expect the deadly secrets they are about to discover about the Republic and each other.

Things I Liked:
This book boasts a truly fantastic story.  It's very cinematic, with sweeping scenes and action-packed story lines.  I loved June and Day and the things they deal with and overcome that seem at once so different - rich vs poor, wrong sides of the law - but in the end are the same.  June was so interesting to me and one thing I loved was that she didn't have an immediate understanding of just what her society was doing.  Sometimes characters have completely unbelievable revelations and instantly know their society is evil.  In this, at least, she took the time to think it through.  Complex, layered, and yet still very readable and filled with action.  A fabulous dystopian debut that left me already wanting the sequel!
 
Things I Didn't Like:
I was so swept away with the awesome that is this future look at society that I honestly can't think of things I didn't like.  It was so believable that I can completely see our future looking like this.  A great read.

Read-alikes:
Definitely a Hunger Games readalike
Reminded me just a little of All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
Divergent by Veronica Roth

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: ! 

a little here and there


mrg-factor: none 
just kissing really

v-factor: -> 
some fighting and action violence

Overall rating: ***** 


Do you think we will forever be comparing all dystopian books to Hunger Games? 

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. Wow! I have heard great things about this one so I was thinking, "good. Melissa will tell me what she didn't like so I can see that there is indeed things to dislike". Well, I guess there isn't anything to hate, huh? I'll have to get this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sure there are lots of things to hate, but I just didn't see or care about any of them! I was along for the ride and really enjoyed every minute. Can't wait to hear what you think :)

      Delete
  2. I think it is easy to compare it to Hunger Games, everyone does the same thing with Twilight and other YA paranormal romance stories.

    This one does sound so amazing though and I've had an arc that I got from a blogger friend months ago so I really need to read it!

    Thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely it is. I think it's mostly because that's the best well-known example, so people will recognize the title. It's like magic fantasy and Harry Potter. Hope you get a chance to read it soon!

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015